greencloud printer introduction

Eco-friendly virtual printer driver to save money, save trees, and exchange your documents with popular cloud storage services
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

greencloud printer introduction

Post by Fabrice »

GreenCloud Printer is a new software project from ObviousIdea
the page product is located there :

http://www.obviousidea.com/fr/windows-s ... d-printer/

but a dedicated domain has been locked for it too :

http://www.greencloudprinter.com for now it just redirect to the product page of the main web site.

What is GreenCloud printer ?
it is a virtual driver for windows which becomes your default printer to optimize your printing jobs.

when you print, you select GreenCloud in the printer list, then you will see an interface which will be exactly the same whatever the application you will use.
Indeed, each app can implement his own preview or printing options and it is boring to have a different user experience for each app. now, you don't care, you can use greencloud to print from each of your application it will be exactly the same process.

Once you start to print something, GreenCloud will preview you all the page, so you can in 1click only, remove any page you don't think you need to print. It is very efficient for email printing or web page printing. because these kind of printing tasks aren't optimized, and you may by mistake print pages which doesn't contains any valuable and useful information for you. such page footer, ads, or bitmaps.
Don't tell it never happened to you to print a page with 1 line of text ?

that's the purpose of GreenCloud Printer, preview, edit, and reduce your ink , paper, and make easier to share your documents with your mobile devices or with your contacts.

The core format used by GreenCloud printer is pdf. it means it is also a powerful and fast way to create a PDF file from your doc. but not only. you can also immediatly send this PDF file to your favorite Cloud account ( that's why it it GreenCloud printer
For now the software support these formats :
- save as pdf ( local file )
- send pdf by email ( attachment )
- send pdf to your google docs account
- send pdf to minus.com ( a very interesting storage service you can manage completely from your browser )
- send pdf to dropbox ( you should know what is dropbox )

Post to be continued.
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

I have visited the link you provided, this is a great idea, very useful and practical, but I noticed that brother printers are not included in the brands of printer this driver is compatible with, is there any chance that brother printers will be included soon?
Celine [ObviousIdea]

Post by Celine [ObviousIdea] »

It just because we displayed only the major printer brand, but we have many users who use it with a brother printer, so you can try and it will works ! :D
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

'Celine [ObviousIdea wrote:]It just because we displayed only the major printer brand, but we have many users who use it with a brother printer, so you can try and it will works ! :D
Thanks for the reply celine, will try it on my brother printer, you have a great site here, I'm learning some new and useful stuffs. :D
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

yes, please do and let you know, we are adding feature every week , so any details matters.

See the list of printers using greencloud by our users
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

First of all I want to commend you for creating an environment friendly software such as green cloud, just want to clarify if the free download is free for as long as we want it or we can only use it for a limited number of days sort of a trial period?
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

Elmsa101 , the question is discussed in this thread
http://forum.obviousidea.com/threads/22 ... difference

for now the free version is just limited to 50 pages per print session, every 20 prints a reminder to upgrade to pro or donate will be displayed.

what do you think ? - there is no trial period, it's free for small users forever
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

Thank you sir for the quick reply, for now my kids are using our printer for school works which very rarely exceeds 20 pages and not on a daily basis, so we are still in the small user bracket, I guess.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

yes, It fits your description and shouldn't be a problem. keep us updated ( kids can give their advice and tips too )
did you see the badge award when you print ? kids should like this no ?

we will add more badges, like : when you have saved a full tree etc..
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

Thank you, will download the software now that I have answers to my questions. I'm sure my kids will surely enjoy those badges, hope to give you feedback soon.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

I will curious what they will think about the badge ( it is like for console games ), it's reward you get when you reach some objectives, it's supposed to give a little bit of fun but some people think it shouldn't be there.
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

I personally think its a good idea, something to look forward to while doing something as ordinary as printing documents. I'll give you a feedback when my kids get their first badge for a more accurate description of their reaction to it. Just how many pages they have to print before they get one? As I have previously told you we are not a heavy user so it might take a while before they receive a badge.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

some badges came after the first action like the duplex - 2 sides printing, or if you printed during xmas or 1st of january.
for the quanty, it's after 1 , 50, 100, but we will add more.

you can get one if you share online ( to google docs )

and we will add more like when we save enough paper sheets to save a full tree, or when you save money equivalent to 1 ink cartridge. we just need to find the formulas .
elmsa101

Post by elmsa101 »

Okay then, will keep you posted regarding my kids reaction to their first badge and for feedback. For the meantime I will recommend your site to my friends. You have some useful stuffs here and you really find time to answer questions and clarify matters. Thank you so much.