Thread: Server Threw An Exception

Server Threw An Exception

I get an error when I right click on a photo file to resize. The error says "The Server Threw An Exception" and when I exit out of that it takes me to the regular program which I then have to select file(s) to resize. I've reinstalled the program and am using Windows 8 PRO. Can you help? I'd like to resolve this issue BEFORE I buy a PRO license.
    Thank you

Please follow these steps to resolve the problem:
    - uninstall Light Image Resizer
    - re-install with option "Add Light Image Resizer to Explorer context menu" disabled
    - download and install this package: http://download2.obviousidea.com/hid...r_shellext.exe

This will add an alternative shell extension which shouldn't cause this error.

Thank you for your reply and instructions. IT WORKED! It solved my issue. I bought my PRO license today and am pleased with how this product operates. Thanks again...

I was wondering if there's a solution to this issue that doesn't require you to disable the Explorer context menu, that's a feature that's incredibly important to me for this software. Never had this issue before but on my new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 I get this error and it's super annoying.

If you read the full post you will notice that the steps mentioned above will not disable the context menu, but exchange it with an alternative one.

Thanks for the response, Phil. I'm not sure I understand. How would I get Light Resizer to appear in the Explorer Context Menu if on install I uncheck the box to enable that feature? Is there a way post-install to re-enable that feature?

Above I'm describing 3 steps. The last one installs the alternative shell extension for the context menu.

It would seem I aim on being difficult. I'm on Windows 8.1 and this solution did not fix my problem. I did install without Context Menu and then installed the shell succesfully. Re-started but still getting same error. Any ideas?

The new context menu entry should have a different icon than before... Did you uninstall Light Image Resizer before re-installing it without context menu integration?

Hi Phil,

Figured it out! I did uninstall the first time and re-installed but it did not work. Here's what I did differently... Not sure what steps in the process are what resulted in success but it worked for me after I did the following:

- Uninstall Light Image Resizer
    - Restart computer
    - Navigate to Program Files folder, locate ObviousIdea folder. Delete it.
    - Restart computer
    - Re-install with option "Add Light Image Resizer to Explorer context menu" disabled
    - Download and install this package: http://download2.obviousidea.com/hid...r_shellext.exe

I noticed that after I uninstalled (even when it asked me if I wanted to delete all logs and files) that it left an Obvious Idea folder in my Program Files. Once I uninstalled the program and deleted that folder it worked fine for me. And yes I do see the new icon for it.

Thanks again for your help!