Default Settings on Resizer

previously known as VSO Image Resizer

Moderator: Fabrice

ADKR

Default Settings on Resizer

Post by ADKR »

New user, registered version, didn't see this in any posts. I want to set the defaults on resizer to 1600 pixel, mode = Fit, Action = Resize original, and quality = 100%. I have to change to this every time and am hoping I can set my own defaults. Thanks.
rossini

Post by rossini »

Hi ADKR,
You'll sure get an answer from the staff. Here is an advice that could help you :
Create a new profile for your parameters (by clicking on the 'New Profile' icon) name your profile as you like and check your personalized parameters in it. When done, save it by clicking on the 'diskette' icon right to the 'new profile' icon :
11.jpg
11.jpg (73.85 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Also, to get a better control on your profile, do not let the program autosave profiles. To do this, in the Settings Tab, click on the "Reset confirmations" button :
12.jpg
12.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Then you should be totally in control of your new profile, and in case you'll make any change it it, you'll be prompted to save it (or not) before quitting the program. Hope it will work for you :)
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

@rossini
Thanks, you gave some great instructions already! :)

@ADKR
Does it work as expected once you create your own profile?
ADKR

Post by ADKR »

rossini - Thanks for the help. Initially, I would say that is exactly what I wanted to do. I'll give is a try for a couple of days and post anything if there is a problem.
ADKR

Post by ADKR »

Working with this solution for a couple of days now and it is doing exactly what I wanted it to do. Thanks, @rossini
rossini

Post by rossini »

@ADKR : glad it works as you want it :)
@Phil : can you imagine ADKR's question helped me to solve an issue I had with the program ?
en.jpg
en.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
In the precedent image, my mistake was to check "Do not ask me again", then clicked on "Don't save" . By doing this, I thought the program would never save modified profiles in the future. Alas, each time I modified a parameter in a profile, it was automatically autosaved and it was not what I wanted.
So the question was : how could I cancel this "AutosaveProfile" thing, when the precedent warning had appeared only once and will never appear again ?
As I was using the french interface, there was no obvious solution, because this is what shows in the french Settings :
en.jpg
Now compare with the correct english Settings :
en.jpg
As you notice, "Reset confirmations" is the correct message and it's very clear, it makes you confident to click on it, but "Réinitialiser les paramètres" (reset parameters) is an erroneous translation : who wants to click on it and lose all his personalized parameters ?

As this issue was really annoying, I tried to modify directly the Registry. Here is what I found under the following key :
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ObviousIdea\ImageResizer\4.0]
en.jpg
(1) means that AutoSaveProfile is ON, so I manually changed it to (0) to cancel the AutoSaveProfile feature.

This was before ADKR asked his question. After reading him, I changed the interface language to English (to paste english explanative pics for him), saw the correct label "Reset confirmations", clicked on it... and discovered that AutoSaveProfile = 2 in the Registry, that was another surprise !

My personal conclusion is that AutoSaveProfile can get 3 different values, which are 2, 1, 0 :
=> 2 : after clicking on "Reset confirmations", you'll be asked each time if you want to save a modified profile before leaving the program.
=> 1 : if you click "Do not ask me again", modified profiles will be autosaved without any warning (this is very annoying)
=> 0 : no warning when you quit, no profiles will be modified (even if you made a temporary change in them) but you still have the possibility to save them during the session (diskette icon) . I don't think the program allows you to access directly this 0 value (i made it thru the Registry, which is clearly not recommended)

Phil, could you please confirm if these 3 different values and their explanations are correct ?
Also, please think of rectifying the french translation ("confirmations" instead of "paramètres") in the next release, this terrific program deserves it.
Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
reg1.jpg
fr.jpg
fr.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
ask.jpg
ask.jpg (19.26 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

rossini, I just checked and you are perfectly right. There is a bug resulting in the wrong preference being stored. Oh and you correctly identified the 3 possible values :)

I will make sure to get this fixed and also correct the French translation for next release!

Thanks for outlining this in all its detail!
rossini

Post by rossini »

Thx Phil for your quick reply :)
As we're discussing about improvements/bugs, here is another point I noticed : the program processes some images that should have remained untouched, for example :
The attachment only reduce.jpg is no longer available
Let's change only 1 parameter in the predefined profile 1024*768, the policy has been changed from Always Resize (default) to "Only Reduce". Then we'll open a directory containing 4 images and process them, here are the results :

image 1 : res ori 1149*567 => res copy 1024*505 (ok) . Size ori 461Ko => Size copy 166Ko (ok)
This was correct, 1149 width has been resized to 1024 width

image 2 : res ori 659*2050 => res copy 247*768 (ok) . Size ori 195Ko => Size copy 39Ko (ok)
This was correct, 2050 height has been resized to 768 height

image 3 : res ori 809*733 => res copy 809*733 (ok) . Size ori 121Ko => Size copy 136Ko (why ?)
image 4 : res ori 333*500 => res copy 333*500 (ok) . Size ori 38Ko => Size copy 53Ko (why ?)

Unfortunately, both image 3 & 4 have also been processed and now their sizes have changed !
Why have they been "processed", when their width and height were inferior to 1024*768 ?
I understand they have not been resized, but don't we expect them to stay totally untouched (the copy should be an exact clone of the original, not a file with a different size ?)
imho images 3 & 4 should have been totally ignored by the program, but they weren't.

Do you have an opinion on this ?
Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
only reduce.jpg
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

Images are always processed (or recompressed), even if dimensions are not changed. There are several reasons for this. The first one is simplification, as a lot of conditions would have to be checked in order to determine if an image has to be processed or just copied.
Another one is the quality setting. It's not possible to determine the compression or quality used on the original image, so we're in a kind of dilemma to know if we have to recompress the image or not. In your case the original images are probably saved with a lower quality value, so once saved with 90% file sizes are larger.
rossini

Post by rossini »

Thx Phil for the explanations
Have a good week-end
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

I have sent you am PM with a pre-release version to try!
rossini

Post by rossini »

Hello Phil,

All seems good in the pre-release 4.6.9.5 , "Autosaveprofile" is now always correct in the Registry :
= 2 after clicking on "Reset confirmations" (2 = ask me each time)

After any modification in a profile, when asked "Some settings in profile have changed" :
= 1 if we clic "Save" + check "do not ask me again" (Autosave ON)
= 0 if we clic "Don't save" + check "do not ask me again" (Autosave OFF), that's what you fixed.

So the only way to modify the "Autosaveprofile" value (from 2 to 1/0) is to check "do not ask me again"
As long as it's unchecked, the value will always equal 2 (ask me each time), all seems fine !

Good job Phil, and thanks for the correct french translation (Réinitialiser les confirmations)