Save resized only when smaller file size

previously known as VSO Image Resizer

Moderator: Fabrice

islands

Save resized only when smaller file size

Post by islands »

Hi,

Is it possible to setup Light Image Resizer to only save the resized file if the resulting file size is smaller than the original? I am using the profile setting Only Reduce but that only refers to the image resolution, and I find that sometimes a resized image can still be produced with a file size that is greater than the original. If it is not currently possible would you consider adding this feature in future?

Thanks
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

Hello,

in most cases (with JPEG) the difference in size is because the source has been saved at a lower quality than the resized file (i.e. source file at 80%, resized file at 90%).

There is an option planned to estimate the source's quality and keep it the same, so the difference in file size would be very small. I think this would help in your case as well, or are you talking about other formats than JPEG?
islands

Post by islands »

Yeah I am mainly talking about JPEG so that would probably help, although I wouldn't necessarily want to keep the source quality if it was above the normal quality level I am using (85%).

Thanks