How to really exclude images from resizing?

previously known as VSO Image Resizer

Moderator: Fabrice

pitoloko

How to really exclude images from resizing?

Post by pitoloko »

Scenario:

I am using this profile:

Code: Select all

[Wallpapers]
Width=2560
Height=1440
ResUnit=RU_Pixel
Scaler=FI_Lanczos
Format=FM_Original
Quality=95
QualityType=QT_Quality
AdjustPortrait=FALSE
CopyExif=FALSE
CopyXmp=FALSE
CopyIptc=FALSE
CopyIcc=FALSE
FilenameMask=%F
UseWatermark=FALSE
InvertColors=FALSE
Grayscale=FALSE
Sepia=FALSE
AddBorder=FALSE
AutoEnhance=FALSE
Mode=RM_Fit
Policy=RP_OnlyReduce
PadColor=clBlack
KeepFileDate=TRUE
ChangeDpi=FALSE
Dpi=96
BorderUnit=RU_Pixel
BorderColor=clBlack
BorderTop=0
BorderLeft=0
BorderRight=0
BorderBottom=0
WatermarkMode=WM_Image
WatermarkFile=
WatermarkText=
WatermarkFont=Arial|36|$0000FFFF|0
WatermarkBackground=clNone
WatermarkReduceFont=FALSE
WatermarkAlpha=255
WatermarkOffsetX=0
WatermarkOffsetY=0
WatermarkPosition=WP_Center
WatermarkShadow=FALSE
WatermarkShadowColor=clGray
WatermarkGlow=FALSE
WatermarkGlowColor=clYellow
WatermarkAngle=00000000000000000000
QuickAccess=FALSE
SendByEmail=FALSE
PdfPageWidth=0
PdfPageHeight=0
Action=AC_Original
Destination=<original>
OverwriteBehavior=OW_Prompt
Upload=UT_None
Version=4.4.1.4
OptiPng=TRUE
OptiPngLevel=2
I have a directory with thousands of wallpapers, in various resolutions, and as you can see in the profile I only want to resize those wallpapers that has a bigger reslution than the specified.

Problem:

The big problem (or bug or design issue) is that Light Image Resizer really doesn't care about if a wallpaper has a lower resolution, because the image will be re-saved again with the image quality specified in the profile, even if that image doesn't need to be resized.

I mean that, if I have a jpeg image with 50% jpeg quality, and even when Light Image Resizer doesn't resize this wallpaper (because it has a lower resolution thatn the specified in the profile), it will save the image again with 95% quality (as specified in the profile above) increasing the image size a lot, if no resolution changes are made in the image, then why an annonying image quality processing is done?.

This is too abusive and intrusive, I really expected that a professional software which is at release 4.x should have implemented in all this time some kind of logic to ignore, I mean to REALLY IGNORE those images that has a lower resolution than the specified in the profile, because we don't want that Light Image Resizer re-saves our images with another quality when those images don't need to be resized and aren't resized by the application.

I missed some option in the application to stop that annonying behavior?.

If not, then it will be fixed this issue in next release?.

Thanks for read.
pitoloko

Post by pitoloko »

After seeying threads with +4k views and Zero responses from Light Image Resizer's staff, I think that I cannot expect any answer to my question ...incredible support.

I will try to answer myself, after seen this answer to other thread:
Phil wrote:Images are always processed (or recompressed), even if dimensions are not changed. There are several reasons for this. The first one is simplification, as a lot of conditions would have to be checked in order to determine if an image has to be processed or just copied.

Another one is the quality setting. It's not possible to determine the compression or quality used on the original image, so we're in a kind of dilemma to know if we have to recompress the image or not. In your case the original images are probably saved with a lower quality value, so once saved with 90% file sizes are larger.
I really doesn't understand which is the problem about implementing those conditionals in your software, simplification for who?, for the developers, not for the end-users. Excuse myself for my words but that is any professional.

The developers should have impelmented an algorithm to avoid processing images that don't need resize changes, that is a BASIC FEATURE and a need, then the resulting abstraction of that conditionals implemented will be the simplification for the user, not other thing like "bah, too lazy to add those conditions to skip image processing, just we recompress all images and ok, release this as is and let people buy our soft, now!.".

Do you udnerstand the poitnt of view?... I really expected more professional things from a software with a big release number.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for read.
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

Indeed, there are some cases where images are processed that are not necessary, or might even have their size increased for no reason.

What would you expect in case an image doesn't match the selected policy? Skip it, so it will not be processed at all?