PDF size almost 7 times larger

Eco-friendly virtual printer driver to save money, save trees, and exchange your documents with popular cloud storage services
jbattell

PDF size almost 7 times larger

Post by jbattell »

The main reason I purchased Green Cloud printer was because it produced better quality PDFs than Microsoft Word with a smaller file size.
Today I used Green Cloud Printer to create a PDF of a Word document. When I used GC a month ago, it produced a PDF of 752 KB. Today, after updates to GC in the last month, GC created a 5.16 MB PDF of the exact same document. :( I am using the Fine FAX mode in GreenCloud.
Something must have gone wrong in one of your intervening updates to GC.
This is totally unacceptable. I hope you can fix this.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

hi,

I understand, we indeed made some changes, because the small pdf were compatible for everything, I didn't manage the technical details, but it was required to make some output compatible in any case. We will see if we can make this output value in a setting.
jbattell

Post by jbattell »

I discovered this problem today when I needed to create a PDF of a new Word document. I was shocked to find that Green Cloud created a 6.44 MB PDF file! I then used Word to create a PDF file of the document, and Word's PDF was only 669 KB, about 10% of the Green Cloud file size.
I am wondering if Green Cloud is not applying any compression to the pictures, even though I have the GC printer set to the Fine FAX mode, which used to give good quality with a small file size.
I don't know about others, but as I said my main use of GC, and my main reason for buying it was the good quality PDFs with a smaller file size than Word created (now the GC file size is about 10 times the Word PDF file size).
heatherfoy

Post by heatherfoy »

I never compared the figure. I always see the quality first but still there is a big difference in figures.
jbattell

Green Cloud- over 4,000,000,000 bytes, PDF995- 75,000 bytes!

Post by jbattell »

I was hoping, based on past experiences, that you would have gotten this fixed by now. I guess your good response times to previous problems with your software were too good to last. The file I just printed using Green Cloud was an Excel spreadsheet - all text. The GC PDF file was over 4 MB; the PDF995 PDF file was 75 KB!
I wish I had not wasted money buying GreenCloud! :( :( :( :( :(
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

This issue requires a lot of testing, and we're working on another pending issue in the same time.

If you want to help testing, feel free to give it a spin:
http://download2.obviousidea.com/greenc ... .2.0.4.exe
jbattell

GreenCloud PDF over 17 times as large as PDF995

Post by jbattell »

I just used GC to print a file. The GC file size was 5,096 KB. The same file printed by PDF995 was only 298 KB, and was a very good quality file. The GC file was over 17 times as large! My disappointment with GC just increases. I bought it primarily to use in making PDF files. You changed the program, and have destroyed its worth to me. I bought it because it made high quality PDF files with a smaller file size, so the PDFs were easier to e-mail. These HUGE files GC is now making are outrageous. You have ruined a good program, and should refund the money I and other paid! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
jbattell

greencloud_printer_update_7.2.0.4

Post by jbattell »

I downloaded and tried the update. While better, it is still junk! I bought GC because it made smaller PDFs than PDF995 and Word. My PDF995 file size, as I wrote previously, was 298 KB. The new update made a PDF which is 1968 KB, better than the 5096 KB, but still no good! Also, the smaller PDF995 file is of better quality than the Green Cloud one. :mad: :mad: I want my money back!
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

Hi,

the file was smaller because it wasn't including the font, but we have added the option to control it the same way than before, and also for the quality, for now, you don't provide all the details of the settings you have used. also , we don't have your doc, so we can't test it to make it as small as you would like. without your help, we can't progress very fast.
can you contact the support by email to send all the details and file ?
jbattell

GC updated to 7.3.0.1 & once again creating reasonably-sized PDFs

Post by jbattell »

Although not yet offered as a download on the GC web site, when I used GreenCloud today it updated to version 7.3.0.1. Once again it is creating reasonably-sized PDFs. Thanks for getting it fixed. :o
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

actually it is not as good as we would like to be, but it is due by design of the technical solution we have used. we would need to break and purchase another Postcript driver to make it better :(
jbattell

Advanced Font Embedding

Post by jbattell »

I just tried the PDF font embedding settings in the latest GreenCloud printer (shows as ver 7.3.0.1), creating PDFs from a Word 2007 document. All four settings (glyphs only, character set only, full font, and disabled) produced exactly the same size PDF. Maybe this is because the 4-page document had only the Windows standard Times New Roman font, rather than something non-standard. Or, am I missing something in the settings? :confused:
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

don't worry, we are confused too, this part is from the driver provider, we don't have any control on it.. we are confused too at this time.
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

Due to some change they did, the font setting is not user defined anymore. So changing it will have no effect right now.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

still no follow up about a new version for it ?