New: PNG optimization with Light Image Resizer

previously known as VSO Image Resizer

Moderator: Fabrice

Phil
ObviousIdea

New: PNG optimization with Light Image Resizer

Post by Phil »

Starting with version 4.3 you will be able to optimize PNG files with Light Image Resizer, thanks to integrated OptiPNG support.

What is it?
During optimization the image is re-compressed to a smaller size, without losing information. This is achieved by reducing characteristics like bit depth, color type, color palette, and/or alpha channel.
Take a look at our logo for example:
obviousidea.png
obviousidea.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
original (2.47 KB)
obviousidea_optimized.png
obviousidea_optimized.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
optimized (1.73 KB)

As you can see, the optimized file is 30% smaller than the original. Quite a difference, while looking exactly the same.
This is useful especially for PNG graphics used on the web, as it will decrease your web site's loading time!

How to do it?
Once your files are loaded in Light Image Resizer, select the new "Optimization" tab and check the option:
2012-04-06 16h21_09.jpg
2012-04-06 16h21_09.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
You can change the optimization level to something more aggressive if required, but for most cases the default (2) will do.

If you don't want to change the image's resolution, make sure width and height are set to 100 percent, then click Process to start...
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

so it is like a OptiPng GUI front end ? and works as post processing ? if we set different values to change the png size ?
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

Sure, optimization is always done at the end of the overall process.
haree

Post by haree »

Right, optimization is did always at the end of all the overall process.
Well only the function which I really like that is the optimization. I really got inspired this feature and that's why I attract toward this thread.
peleus

Post by peleus »

Thanks. Does every project need to be optimized?