Auto-rotation of images in Windows 7

All things not suitable for other forums
Katia Grondin

Auto-rotation of images in Windows 7

Post by Katia Grondin »

i'm a photographer, so sometimes i'll upload batches of hundreds and hundreds of photos, and when viewing them in Windows Photo Viewer, i have to go through each and every single one of them and rotate them individually, which is extremely time-consuming. and i like to get them all rotated first before i go through and start weeding out the bad ones. that way i can focus on one thing at a time. but it would be nice to be able to view all the thumbnails in Windows Photo Viewer and ctrl+click the ones that need to be rotated, and then right click (like you would to get to Light Image Resizer) and have them batch-rotate. does that make sense?

i have done a test and when I upload new photos it is not just the thumbnail that is facing the wrong way, but also the photo when i double-click to enlarge.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

before I could give the best accurate reply, I need to know what kind of digital camera you are using, and if the picture you have not rotated correctly in the windows explorer with thumbnails are not correctly oriented when you load them with a photo editor ?
Katia Grondin

Post by Katia Grondin »

I'm using a Nikon D90 as well as a Sony Cybershot DSC-W220.

The photos when drag-and-dropped to open in Adobe Photoshop CS4 DO actually open in the correct orientation, but they do not open in the correct orientation as Thumbnails in Windows Photo Viewer, nor when I actually enlarge them in Windows Photo Viewer.

There is a setting on my Nikon called Image Rotation, and i have it set to ON. Adobe Photoshop seems to recognize this, but not Windows 7.
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

auto rotate pictures with Light Image Resizer

Post by Fabrice »

If you want to have the image ( data part and meta ) correctly oriented as the real life orientation, you can use this setting

He
LIR auto-rotate Capture.jpg
LIR auto-rotate Capture.jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 12162 times
Select a profile with original Resolution,
go to misc tab
and click on the option :
Adjust Resolution for portrait

I suggest to create copies first, in case the problem is not about the image but the rotation of the cache thumbs of windows

also it will resize and recompress the data part, so you could lose some quality if you don't set the proper target format option
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

are you using JPEG or Raw ( .NEF )
it's a known issue with windows thumbs
if you want to workaround this , I suggest the excellent wic codec pack from :

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

it will make the thumbs created correctly , with the right orientation and support any kind of format ( photoshop psd wic )
Katia Grondin

Post by Katia Grondin »

I got the Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack 3.0 and IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!!

Now when I upload photos, they are just automatically facing the proper way, no need for manual rotation :)

ALSO my .NEF's have thumbnails now!! I can actually see what each and every NEF is directly from windows explorer!

Thank You! Absolutely worth the $15 the codec pack costs
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Katia,

I was sure it was what you were looking for, and actually it is really something Windows should handle a "normal" way.
I m happy if you are happy :)
Fabrice
ObviousIdea

microsoft camera pack vs FastPictureViewer

Post by Fabrice »

just for your information, Microsoft released also a wic codec pack, but it doesn't rotate the picture ( jpeg ) and doesn't support all the format.
Also there is no option to used embed jpeg of the raw files ( see screenshot ), so the Fastpictureviewer codec pack is better ( but not free )
you can download both on this page :

wic codec
without Wic Codec 2011-07-30 17h54_13.jpg
without Wic Codec 2011-07-30 17h54_13.jpg (18.13 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
FastPictureViewer Codec 2011-07-30 13h55_23.jpg
FastPictureViewer Codec 2011-07-30 13h55_23.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 11554 times
I attached 2 screenshots to show the difference in the explorer and show the FastPictureviewer decode all the files ( lightroom dng , canon cr2, nikon .nef )
and also fix the rotation of jpeg
Jack_Black

Post by Jack_Black »

There are some automated tools out their that will do batch processing for you.

http://www.photoupright.com/ $11
http://www.betterjpeg.com/purchase.htm $30
https://sites.fastspring.com/trakax/instant/trakaxpcpro - video and picture editor $40

Jack B.
ravel

How do I rotate / group rotate raw files with fast picture viewer codec

Post by ravel »

Admin wrote:are you using JPEG or Raw ( .NEF )
it's a known issue with windows thumbs
if you want to workaround this , I suggest the excellent wic codec pack from :

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

it will make the thumbs created correctly , with the right orientation and support any kind of format ( photoshop psd wic )
Hi,

I have fastpicviewer codec, and I am NOT able to rotate or group rotate RAW files, can you please detail HOW to do this?

Tim
Phil
ObviousIdea

Post by Phil »

The codec won't allow to rotate raw images, it should make them appear with the correct orientation though.