Ignore previously compressed images

previously known as VSO Image Resizer

Moderator: Fabrice

[email protected]

Ignore previously compressed images

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, I have been evaluating image compressing software and LIR certainly has the most features. There is one issue that I am concerned about for my usage that I am not sure if your software can solve. I have a top level directory with with 1,000 subdirectories and a total of 100K photos that need resized. My desired output file is 2048x1536 @ 75% image quality compression. The compressed files will replace the originals in whatever folder the exist currently and will use the %F _RS mask. Very standard stuff for LIR.

Here is my issue: New files are being added under the top level directory continuously and I will need to run the batch compression every 3-6 months which means that the files that were previously compressed to 75% will reduced in quality by 25% every time I run the batch and every time I run the batch the filename will get another _RS appended to it.

What I don't see in your settings is either the ability to ignore files by date, file mask name (ie.. *_RS.jpg) or ignore if resolution is equal to or less than 2048x1526. Am I missing something in the settings, or is this something that will need to be done with command line scripting?

Thanks,
Phil
ObviousIdea

Re: Ignore previously compressed images

Post by Phil »

Hi Doug,
There are no options to filter by date or filename at present. If I understand you correctly, you may be able to work with the Policy option (under Advanced, General tab). If set to "Only reduce, else skip", LIR should only process images that are larger than the output dimensions, while ignoring images already this size or smaller.
[email protected]

Re: Ignore previously compressed images

Post by [email protected] »

Thank you for the reply, that certainly solves my issues. I will just need to make an initial pass to grab and compress everything to 75% image quality, then do a second run to compress to the desired resolution. Once your credit card processor starts working, I will be purchasing a license. It has errored out on me twice in a row with 'an unexpected error occurred. Please try again later'.

Update: I did receive an email showing at least one of my attempts was successful maybe an hour after I tried to purchase.